Are You Too Old For Braces?
- Straight teeth function better, are easier to clean, and are less likely to get cavities.
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart can cause tooth decay or gum disease.
- Improperly aligned teeth and jaws are at higher risk for jaw pain, headaches, and migraines.
- Do braces take longer for adults? Average orthodontic treatment times falls somewhere between 16-18 months, but can sometimes take as long as 24 months. In cases of adult braces, the average length of treatment can be a bit longer depending on the orthodontic problem.
- At what age is it too late to get braces? The major advantage of treating irregularities at a young age is that orthodontic appliances are widely accepted in youth and ideal alignment can be achieved before adulthood. Most orthodontists agree, however, that it is never too late to get braces.
- How painful are braces for adults? Getting braces put on your teeth doesn't hurt. Within a few hours of having your braces placed you may begin to develop some soreness in your teeth and gums. This pain will probably last about a week and can be alleviated with an over the counter pain medication.
- Do braces change the shape of your face? Braces change the way your jaw and teeth fit together, creating better harmony throughout the lower half of the face.
- How will braces affect my daily activities? They won’t. Braces change a lot of aspects of your life, from eating to how you brush your teeth, but in the end it’s all for the better because once those braces are off, you are left with a beautiful smile.
Hook Orthodontics is open Monday through Friday from 8am – 5pm. The days of our offices vary by week and Saturday appointments are available upon request. Please call for availability.